Passionate about an issue but don’t know what to do? Take this course!
You can change the world 101
Each participant selects an issue they care about passionately. We then apply key tools and methods for analyzing the political / cultural dynamics for those issues, how to frame issues, how to plan for effectively influencing an issue area, avoid burnout, etc. Early in the course, most of our time will be on learning the methods. By mid-course, most of out time will be spent discussing applications of the methods to your specific issue areas.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has” (Margaret Mead).
Schedule: June 14 through Aug 16 (10 weeks), one meeting per week, plus several hours of individual or small group work each week.
Meetings: Wednesday evening, 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Location: Triumph Community Church, 2214 Lafayette Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23509
Class size: Maximum of 12 participants
Mode: / Style: The class will be a seminar, with an emphasis on discussion. There will be assigned readings but few lectures.
Prerequisites: Curiosity, an open mind, a concern for the future, and civility. Internet access is required.
Readings: 1) a number of articles available via the internet, 2) A book or two specific to your individual issue area.
Facilitator: Dr. Barry Clemson.
- Science (BA), Political Science (MA), Organizations (PhD)
- General Systems Theory and Management Cybernetics: Past President, American Society for Cybernetics
- Nonviolence: Philosophy, strategy, tactics
- Activism and mass movements
- Work experience includes university teaching & research (20 years), community development / voter registration for Mississippi Freedom Summer (4 years), Entrepreneur (10 years), software development (6 years) and manufacturing technician, math teacher, and novelist.
To ask questions or register, send me an email barry@citizenActivists.school